Can I Modify My Alimony Payments After the Divorce?

If you were ordered to pay alimony to your former spouse, you might be wondering if it is possible to change these payments if your circumstances change later on down the road. Thankfully, it is possible to have your alimony payments modified if you experience a material change in your situation, such as the loss of a job. If you cannot prove that your circumstances changed substantially, it is highly unlikely a judge will grant your request.

Modifying Your Alimony Payments

Before you take your post-divorce modification case to court, consider reaching out to your former spouse to discuss agreeing on a modification together. If your ex-spouse agrees, it will save you a bit of time and stress, but you must still have the modification approved by the court to ensure it is enforceable. Otherwise, if your ex has a change of heart, you might run into some legal challenges that will cause unnecessary distress.

If you cannot reach an agreement on this issue, you will have to petition the court for a modification. As mentioned above, you will have to show a significant change in circumstances since the order was originally issued.

Below are some examples of changes in circumstances that may warrant a modification of alimony:

  • You involuntarily received a pay cut or lost your job
  • You developed a disability or illness that prevents you from working
  • Your former spouse’s income significantly increased
  • Your former spouse lives with a new romantic partner or got remarried

If the changes are only temporary, your alimony payments may be temporarily modified until the changes are resolved and you are able to fulfill your obligations and pay alimony. It is important to note that you cannot purposely avoid paying alimony by choosing to take a lesser paying job or quitting your job. Under these circumstances, you will still be responsible for fulfilling your financial obligations to your former spouse.

Discuss the Details of Your Alimony Case with a Knowledgeable Family Law Attorney!

If you need to modify your alimony payments, it is essential to hire a knowledgeable family law attorney to represent you and ensure you receive the best possible results. At Matthew Penick Law, our skilled family law attorney has more than a decade of experience and a history of successful results. You can rely on our team to guide you through this difficult process and provide the compassionate advice you need.

Reach out to our legal team today at (410) 618-0863 to set up a free initial consultation with our alimony attorney and discuss the details of your case.