Post-Divorce Modifications A Fierce Advocate On Your Side

Post-Divorce Modifications in Queen Anne’s County

Modify the Terms of Your Divorce to Accommodate Life’s Changes

man and woman arguing about divorce modification

While the terms of your divorce decree might have been suitable when they were initially created, life constantly goes through changes and it would be impractical to assume your divorce decree should not change with it.

If your life underwent significant changes and you need to request a modification of your child custody order, child support order, or spousal support order, the team at Matthew Penick Law in Queen Anne’s County can provide the legal representation you need to obtain it.

Need assistance with post-divorce modifications in Queen Anne’s County? Reach out to our law office today at (410) 618-0863 to request a free initial consultation.

What You Should Know About Post-Divorce Modifications

Family courts understand that life is ever-evolving and that modifications are sometimes necessary for ensuring certain court orders are still practical and in the best interests of the children. That said, it is highly unlikely a judge will grant a request to modify property and asset division, unless you are able to prove that fraud somehow impacted the initial order.

Here is what you need to know about post-divorce modifications.

How to Modify Custody Orders in Maryland

To change child custody, you will need to file a new case.

If your situation or your co-parent’s situation changed substantially, you may be able to obtain a modification to your child custody arrangement. For example, if one parent plans to move out of state or to a new city, making it difficult to comply with the custody order, a judge may grant a modification.

If the child’s needs changed, the current living situation is unsafe, or the custodial parent’s work schedule changed, these are all valid examples of circumstances in which a judge may also grant a modification.

Modifying a Child Support Order

A person’s financial situation can change at any time. If a parent involuntarily becomes unemployed or takes a pay cut, a modification may be necessary. If the paying parent has more children from a new relationship, a judge may also grant a modification under these circumstances to ensure they can provide for them.

Can Alimony Be Changed After Divorce?

If you or your former spouse’s situation changes significantly, you may obtain a modification to your spousal support order. For example, if you or your spouse involuntarily lost a job or developed a condition that prevents gainful employment, the alimony agreement may be reduced to accommodate this drastic change.

You do not necessarily have to go through litigation if you and your former spouse can agree to a modification. However, you will need the court’s approval to ensure it is enforceable.

Discuss Your Case with Our Knowledgeable Modification Attorney

If you need to request a modification to the terms of your divorce, the team at Matthew Penick Law in Queen Anne’s County will guide you through the process. No court order is set in stone. You can rely on our modification lawyers to help you change it as the years go on.

Backed by more than a decade of experience and a history of successful results and satisfied clients, you can trust that your case will be in good hands with Attorney Matthew Penick.

Contact our law office today at (410) 618-0863 to set up a consultation with our trusted post-divorce modifications attorney.

Why Choose Matthew Penick Law?

  • Easy & Quick Communication & Free Initial Consultations
  • Competent Legal Representation in the Community
  • Outstanding Legal & Negotiating Skills
  • Personalized, Client-Centered Approach

Contact Us Today!

Free and Confidential Consultations
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy